So when I decided to start this blog, I told myself I will post at least one recipe a week. Well, here I am on the Saturday night of my first week, posting my first recipe. (Nothing like procrastination!) As I said in my first post, I am constantly running around between work, friends, and other miscellaneous things that seem to take up so much time in my life! If I want to make this work (and I do!) I really need to learn to take the time to write these. Lesson 1!
Prepping to blog this first recipe taught me a lot of other lessons. 1) I need more colorful dishes (white is so boring!) 2) The lighting in my apartment sucks! 3) Don’t EVER plan to blog about a recipe you are making if you will be rushed while making it.
As you all know, last weekend was Super Bowl Sunday. Of course, I thought to myself – what better time to start documenting some of my favorite recipes?! WRONG!!!! I felt so rushed, I missed part of the game, and even worse…some of the commercials! (Although I didn’t really think they were that great this year.) Anyway…lesson learned!
Now onto the food…
Skinny Loaded Nachos with Turkey, Beans and Cheese
- 4 oz baked tortilla chips (I used Baked Tostitos Scoops)
- 8 oz 99% lean turkey breast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fat free spicy black bean dip
- 1 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese
- 2 cups pico de gallo salsa
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2/3 cup fresh cilantro (if you use dry (which I did) just remember 1 T fresh = 1t dried)
1) Preheat oven to 425°. Place 1 oz (about 14) chips on four oven-proof dishes or one large baking sheet.
2) Heat a large nonstick pan over high heat. Add turkey. Season with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. When cooked, add bean dip and mix well.
3) Spoon the turkey mixture over the chips and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake until cheese melts, about 6 minutes.
4) Remove the nachos from the oven, top with pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro and jalepeños. Serve immediately.
Enjoy! 🙂The original recipe is from Skinny Taste