My company decided to have a Chili Cook-Off so of course I entered! All of the proceeds would be matched by our company and the winner would be able to donate them to the charity of his or her choice. I started “practicing” early realizing I might have to try a few different chili recipes before finding the right one to enter. After only 1 attempt, I found the winning chili! (Or so I was hoping.) My boyfriend and his brother both gave it two big thumbs up so I was feeling pretty confident! Then I came into the office on Friday and saw my competition…
There were 13 chilis overall all competing for the charity of their choice! If you actually read the title of this post than you already know the outcome – I WON!!!!! I am happy to report that my chili was the office favorite and all the proceeds went to the charity I picked (Big Brothers & Big Sisters). As a “Big” myself, I was incredibly happy to be able to share the proceeds with this charity.
Buffalo Chipotle Chili
- 1 pound ground buffalo
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce can) fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce can) chili beans in sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (7 ounce) can mild diced green chilies
- 1/2 ounce unsweetened chocolate chopped
1. Brown buffalo meat in a heavy bottomed pot over 1. medium heat. Strain. Set aside.
2. To the same pot that you cooked the meat in add the olive oil and onions. Cook 3 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and add in the remaining ingredients. Mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 2 hours.
3. Spoon into bowls and serve hot.
The original recipe is from Life’s Ambrosia.